· 1 lb ground sausage, cooked and crumbled
· 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
· 4 cups broth (or 4 cups hot water and 4 bouillon cubes)
· 1 cup celery, chopped
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
· 1 cup dried fruit, chopped
· 1 loaf gluten free bread, cubed
· 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or hazelnuts)
· 1 tsp sage (to taste)
· Mixing Bowl
· Bread Knife
· Baking Sheet
· Measuring Cup
Step by Step
1. To make broth, drop 4 bouillon cubes into 4 cups of hot water and set aside.
2. Cut bread into cubes, in about 2 inch squares and put them on a baking sheet.
3. Cook cubes at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
4. Flip cubes and cook for another 15 minutes until they are brown and crispy.
5. Heat butter in a large pan on medium heat until its nice and melted.
6. Add onions, mushrooms, and celery and saute until the onions get soft.
7. Stir in dried fruit, sage, and nuts until well coated.
8. Add sausage and stir.
9. Let cool for 5 minutes.
10. In a large bowl, mix cubes and mixture until well coated.
11. Pour in broth and mix.
12. When ingredients are well mixed, pour stuffing into baking dish with a tight fitting lid and cook at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
· I used Kinni-Kwik Bread and Bun Mix from Kinnikinnick to make my loaf.
· You’ll know the bread cubes are ready when they are brown and crispy.