For the Turkey
- 1 organic gluten free turkey
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
To make the rub:
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
Step by Step
1. Rinse turkey in sink until well cleaned.
2. Pull out giblets and back cavity.
3. Place turkey in large pan breast side up.
4. Using a paper towel, pat inside of turkey dry, getting rid of excess water.
5. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt into main cavity and flip turkey over. Sprinkle a pinch of salt into back cavity.
6. Place already prepared stuffing inside of back cavity. (Do not stuff too full because as you’re cooking the stuffing will expand)
7. Secure opening of cavity with a tooth pick to keep stuffing from coming out.
8. Stuff the main cavity with the remaining stuffing, making sure not to over fill it.
9. Secure the opening of the main cavity with a tooth pick or by placing the legs back into the tie if they came with one.
10. Mix paprika and kosher salt into olive oil to create a rub.
11. Coat the whole turkey with the rub.
12. Insert turkey thermometer in thickest part of meat, not touching a bone.
13. Cook at 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes per pound (for example, if you have a 15 lb turkey, you’d cook for 4-5 hours.) Using a baster, gather juices from the turkey pan and baste the turkey every two hours while cooking.
14. Turkey should be getting nice and golden brown, place tinfoil over-top of the turkey and cook for 1 hour or until the turkey’s internal temperature is at 175 degrees.
15. Take out of oven and do the “leg test”, pull the leg out and if it comes off easily, turkey is done.
16. Slice down the middle of the back cavity and scoop out stuffing, putting it into a medium baking dish.
17. Move the legs out of the way of the main cavity and scoop the stuffing out.
18. After the stuffing is out, cover the turkey with tin foil and let sit for at least 15 minutes before carving
* However, if you have purchased a kosher turkey, you don’t have to worry about salting the turkey, as the blood will already be gone because it has already been salted, and the inside organs will not be included either due to kosher processing.